Almshouses are affordable homes that belong to a charity and are intended to provide accommodation for people with limited means
A brief introduction to The Friendly Almshouses (TFA)
Founded in 1802, the Charity’s initial purpose was to award pensions to women who were too old and frail to work and had no other means of supporting themselves. It soon became clear that the most pressing need for these women was to find somewhere to live. Since 1823, the Charity has provided almshouses accommodation for women – that same year, twenty women found homes in new premises in Camberwell. Since then, TFA has retained its geographical links with South London and is now located in the vibrant, multicultural area of Brixton. With royal patronage secured from its earliest beginnings, TFA is extremely proud of its origins and history. The board of volunteer trustees and small support team work closely together, always enthusiastic to embrace change and challenges in equal measure. Everything the Charity does is based on its belief that residents should enjoy independence whilst living in comfortable, affordable and safe accommodation.
To give women in need, over the age of 50, the opportunity to live independently in quality accommodation as part of a diverse, supportive community.
To provide quality accommodation for single women whose circumstances and age often limit their chances of obtaining safe affordable housing. To give them the reassurance and stability that comes from living within a close knit, caring community.
- To treat staff and residents with respect, always acting with integrity, compassion, discretion and inclusivity.
- To work as a team delivering the Charity’s objectives. To uphold Almshouse values, ethos and traditions.
- To instil confidence, self esteem and encouragement. To support our residents, helping them thrive and live full, independent lives.
- To embrace change and challenges with positivity, always mindful of sustainability, the environment and the vibrant multicultural community in which we live.
Find out more about the accommodation we offer.
How to Apply
Before applying, please read the eligibility criteria on the right to see if you could be considered for housing.
- Women over 50 years of age
- Settled status in the UK
- Of limited financial means and savings
- Able to live independently
- Desire to live as a part of a community
- No pets
- Must currently live within 10 miles of St Paul’s Cathedral
How to Find Us
The Friendly Almshouses
155-167 Stockwell Park Road
London SW9 0TL
Tel: 020 7274 7176
We are located close to Brixton Station (Network Rail) and Brixton Underground (Victoria Line) and are a 15 minute walk from Stockwell Underground (Northern & Victoria lines). Bus routes 3, 35, 45, 59, 109, 118, 133, 159, 250, 333, 345, 355, 432, P4, P5 have stops nearby.
The office is at Martindale House, 155a Stockwell Park Road. If approaching from Brixton tube station use the signposted pathway from Stockwell Park Walk, on the north side of the one-way system. Follow the path through the Estate until you come out opposite Martindale House and Victoria Cottages.
Alternatively you can reach the almshouses via Rumsey Road, which runs off Stockwell Road, by turning right into Stockwell Park Road (there is a sign to the Almshouses on the wall). The Friendly Almshouses can then be found on the left hand side of the road, at No.s 155-167.